The best way to have a good year is by living life on a daily basis, letting the good days accumulate, one by one. And it doesn’t have to be New Year’s to resolve to have a good year. Start anytime. Today, for instance.
- Take time, slow down. Be present in your life and mindful of the present.
- Care for your body, eat well, exercise, treat yourself to loving, nurturing self-care.
- Spend quality time with family and friends. Communicate, keep in touch. Say I love you. Tell people you appreciate them.
- Take time throughout the day to renew yourself. Take a walk, read a poem or a good book, listen to music (really listen); bring beauty into your life. On a monthly basis, take a whole day for yourself — play, treat yourself to something you want to do; retreat from your daily life. Mark these special days on your calendar (in ink) so you’ll be certain to take them.
- Clean up what needs to be cleaned up. Make amends, fix what’s broken, clear away clutter, forgive what needs to be forgiven and let go.
- Commit to a project you really want to do or to learning something new or attaining something you want. Commitment is the first step. Then set achievable goals and work toward them on a daily basis.
- Give yourself to a cause, volunteer at a nonprofit organization, a community group, your church or lend a hand to an individual or family who could use your help.
- Practice your spirituality in whatever form you express it, on a daily basis.
- Laugh every day.
- Take time to dream.
It is tempting to make grand New Year’s resolutions, but as we all know, many of these fall by the wayside too quickly leading to disappointment. The key to maintaining promises you make to yourself is to take one step at a time. When you create achievable goals, they are easier to reach and each success builds momentum to spur you on. So don’t berate yourself if you fall at the first hurdle; gather your thoughts, take a deep breath and start again. You will soon realize you have made great progress and are living life to the fullest. Share your favorite tip with us on Twitter and be sure to tag @marshallbcoach. Stand out by building your brand HERE